Friday, February 28, 2014

On Target to Make Peace


This girl.

Every part of her exudes confidence. She is full of life and love. She moves and breathes excitement and happiness. And she doesn't know any other way to be.

Despite a stylist at the ready, she selects her own threads on a whim. It's a no brainer when you're two. Because stripes and skirts on this girl? It just works.

I wonder at what point that changes. Why does growing up bring with it self consciousness? Uneasiness in ones own skin. Dissatisfaction with what is. At least in my experience it does. And I'll bet I'm not alone.

I spent a great deal of time after becoming a Mumma lamenting what I had become. As if all I was, was what I could see. Learning to look beyond that is a constant and continuing battle. It's not so much caring about how others see me. Rather, it's about how I see myself.


I look at these and my first reaction is to pick the flaws. Two eyes, which scream broken sleep. Hair desperate for a colour and restyle. And a body, which is softer and foreign in shape. There's something really wrong with that, isn't there?

The reality is I have an eleven week old baby who feeds and wakes. Just as a baby is supposed to. And how I look reflects that. Just as it is supposed to. But what I see? When I really look?

I see what those girls of mine see. A Mumma full of fun and craziness. Living in the moment by catching kisses and chasing cuddles. A memory making tickle monster. I see the laughter of a person head-over-heels in love with this life. And that reminds me that I'm still me. I'm there. Just packaged a little differently. At least for the time being.

Target's Autumn/Winter 2014 kids range has just hit stores. Welcome the change of season with on trend outfits designed to weather even the most spirited littles. 

Disclosure: We were decked out in some new threads to try and keep by the lovely folk at Target. No payment was offered or accepted. 


36 comments:

  1. What lovely photos (and your daughter looks great in that jacket/top). And it is always just for the time being...which is a double-edged sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the jacket a beauty!?! I love that she picked it out herself too. Clever girl.

      Delete
  2. Oh you both look gorgeous and what a fun opportunity for you both!!!! I know how you feel, Bec, but it is only you that notices things like your tired eyes, hair and changed body shape. You look beautiful and happy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant. We were very fortunate to be involved. Big had such a blast! You, dear Renée are too kind. X

      Delete
  3. Oh Bec - I'm totally understand. When I look in the mirror I still see flaws first but working at changing that. But when I saw that first pic of you and your beautiful girl I saw refreshed, confident and stunning!! Sometimes I think we need to view ourselves in the eyes of others too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to keep you, Elisa! You, and your lovely kind words. Thank you. X

      Delete
  4. These photos are just fantastic! All I see is a Mumma having fun with her big bebe. (and I wish Big's jacket came in my size) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Danielle! Do you think she'd mind if I try and squeeze myself into it? Ha! X

      Delete
  5. You both look beautiful and so happy. I can understand where you are coming from, my youngest is now nine months old and I'm on just starting to feel a bit happier about my shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you, Lauren. It takes nine months for your body to change, so nine months makes sense for you to start feeling like yourself again. X

      Delete
  6. What a cutie!! Such lovely lovely photos! I l always look at the flaw but know I shouldn't. Look after yourself and your gorgeous kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy too, isn't it? We must try harder to take off autopilot!

      Delete
  7. Great photos! She looks like you. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos! What a great opportunity to document some special mother/daughter moments.
    I don't see tired eyes. I see a fun loving mama and a very happy, content little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, lovely Grace. I am so thrilled that you can see the joy. X

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures. When I see photos of myself with the Little Mister, my first reflex is to pick out my flaws and say how bad I look in "action" pictures or how I was posing badly or look fat. It's only later that I look back at them and realise how special it was that the moment was captured :)
    Good for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those special moments are exactly what we should be remembering. X

      Delete
  10. How awesome do you look? Bet it was nice to wear some new clothes and have fun, what a gorgeous princess she is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em. You're right. Being pampered really did feel quite amazing. X

      Delete
  11. You both look so stunning! That colour looks amazing on you too. You wouldn't know you had a newborn to look at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sweetheart, Kyles. I'm digging the fushia too. I don't think I own any other tops this colour either, so it is a welcomed edition. X

      Delete
  12. No Emma! You look amazing, fresh and bright eyed! There's nothing wrong with your hair either, and these photos...BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva. Such lovely things to say. X

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous photos! You both look awesome. Love your threads too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. I was really impressed with the whole range to be honest. But I can't go passed Big's jacket. Best!

      Delete
  14. Sure looks like you both had a fun! love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these. It's hard to accept our current reality and love ourselves in spite of and because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are, Rachel. It's a lesson I'm sure we all need to learn too.

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous! To me you look like a beautiful mama :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has anyone told you how lovely you are today, Lisa? You're too kind. X

      Delete
  17. I am sorry I haven't been around for a while, but I am adoring catching up!

    It looks like you had a ball! That colour is fantastic on you!

    And Big looks like she adores the spot light!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara. It was such a fun morning. And that girl? A rock star! X

      Delete

You might also like: